19 August 2004

a few of my favorite things

my old roommate caroline was in town last week, and asked me what the heck long valley lane was, anyway.

well, long valley lane is a dirt road that runs through mcculloch county, mason county, and i think part of san saba county. it's a little nothing of a dirt track, bound on both sides by pastures of growing cows, or peanuts, or hay, or sheep. it's my favorite dirt road in the world. i learned all about deer stands and turkey hunting on a lease off that road with my pops and my dad. i practiced driving on that road. i learned how to fall in love on that road. i have been very happy and very sad all at one time on that road.

i have ridden it alone, i have ridden it with other people. my favorite time to drive it is either right before or right after it rains, or right around sunset, when the sky is all different colors, and high thin clouds on top of it all. i always said if i ever made an album, all the liner notes would be backed with black and white pictures from long valley lane. so i named my blog after a meandering track in the middle of nowhere, that really is just a connecting spot for other little roads along the way to someplace else. probably not the most exciting story, but it's the one i've got at the moment.


**insert tangent here*
you know that song "one tree hill" on u2's joshua tree album? well, at the end of the song, bono has like three lines, and he takes a deep breath between each line. that makes me smile in a good way. the breath patsy cline takes at the end of "faded love" makes me smile in a nostaligic way.

i'm doing a 12 week music study with my high school kids this semester. i made them cd's yesterday. i hope they like what i put on there. i realize i am running the risk of exposing my dorkitude by letting them see what kind of music i like to listen to. we'll cross our fingers and hope for the best. some of the tracks we'll be talking about-- river deep/mountain high: tina turner, chemical party: gavin degraw, chan chan: buena vista social club, black jesus: everlast.
i'm sure i'll probably have some phone calls about at least 5 or more of the 64 songs i picked out. i'll keep you posted, i'm sure.

k, i need to get back to work. this week is killing me. i'm on my back to school schedule. rachel is not a happy camper at the moment. thank God for caffine.

mil besos--r

No comments: