05 September 2005

alaskan sockeye salmon

salmon swim upstream, to the place of their birth, to spawn and die, to make their life-span come full circle. i'm sure it's not intentional in any cognitive way. they just know to do it. i went to my old home town this weekend. i had no intention of spawning or dying. neither happened, in case you were curious. no, it was just time to go back and see what had changed, what had stayed the same, and to find out more about myself for the next part of the journey.

i came away with two new thoughts. one: this next phase of the journey is all about preparation. for what, i'm not entirely sure, but i know i'm preparing for something. two: preparing is going to have to entail saying goodbye to a lot of things i thought i needed, thought i wanted, and thought i understood. and that is probably going to mean doing what i did last weekend in a lot of different places. driving in, camping out on someone's couch or in a spare room, looking and listening at what's going on around me, in all my old haunts, places i've visited and thought i knew, etc. preparing is going to mean shedding, not necessarily building up, which is the way i have always prepared before. and i have to admit that i am a little scared. ok, i'm a lot scared. and for all my bravado, i have no idea what is next. i know that the book is coming, ever-changing in scope, but not in character. it's still about bathroom graffitti. but i think it's a travel-log and a memoir, too. a kind of pen and ink child that is begging to be born, and that i can do nothing but push out from my mind and hope for the best.

this weekend was fun. not the wild crazy fun that i remember from college goat fests, or even the goat fests of two or three years ago. we have all grown up, and have things to tend to other than sunday morning hangovers. it was odd to be in a group of people i've known my whole life, and in some sense, feel like a total stranger. i'm not married. i'm not dating some fabulous guy. i'm not pregnant or being a parent. i don't work for some a-hole corporation. i don't push paper. i haven't had some life-altering illness or experience. i'm still just me, the chubby girl with the pretty face who knows more than she lets on, and probably runs her mouth too much, except when she can't figure out what to say or how to say it. i am disappointed that i didn't relax more-- maybe i was tired from my work week. maybe i did the chevy chase labor day vacation thing and built up how much fun it was going to be to a level that could never be achieved. maybe i'm disappointed that i missed out on conversations with two dear friends that i just couldn't seem to pin down, because they seemed so otherwise occupied, and i didn't want to be obnoxious. who knows? in the end, it's done. and i learned some good things.

i also learned that i need to put some sunblock in my NEW CAR, so that i don't get a burn on my shoulders when the top's down.

that's all for now. more musings later, i'm sure.

oh, and please pray for my louisiana relatives-- they all got totally cleaned out in the hurricane. they are all alive and well, though, thanks be to God.

and a BIG happy b-day to aunt inez.

mil besos--r

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Rachel, I wish I could have gone to Brady this weekend for the Goatfest. I remember the wild & crazy high school & college days and miss it. Ever since I began working in the "real world", I am too busy to come on Labor Day. Maybe next year.....I miss hanging out with you guys!

Anonymous said...

Well my friend, I know what I'm doing next labor day when I get back to Texas! Yee Haw. Laura