17 December 2005

merry christmas, happy hannukah. why yes, that IS a snotcicle hanging from my nose...

this is ridiculous. for the third christmas season in a row, i am monumentally sick. cedar fever is kicking my ass as we speak. in fact, my doc stopped just short of giving me steroids, so i'm not the total wuss i thought i was. my allergies really are that bad. and i feel horrid. seriously bad. like so bad that i had a meeting in san antonio today, and i didn't even put on make up to go. and i had no idea if there were going to be cute boys there-- and i still didn't feel well enough to put on make up.

i'm sitting in my bed, wrapped up in an old, thick, blue plaid robe that i liberated from my dad when i was 17 or so, cuddled up in my down comforter, listening to leonard cohen singing about the sisters of mercy, and wishing i could quit hacking up wads of god-knows-what. the bright spot-- last night, i wrapped almost all of my christmas presents, and it's almost time for me to have more nose spray. it's really the little things that are getting me by, today.

seriously, this is the worst time of year to be sick. i have such a love/hate relationship with christmas, anyway, this really just adds insult to injury. it was like right at the moment i was really getting into the spirit of christmas, i started feeling like utter poo. what the hell? i love texas, i was born here, and i will die here. but i freaking hate cedar trees with the white hot intensity of 10 thousand suns. seriously, seriously.

ok, it's nose spray time. i'm sure you're grossed out by now, anyway. i know i am.

happy, merry, pleasant, blah blah blah.

happy birthday, jesus. even though you were probably born sometime in september...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And why are there so many damn 'cedar' trees in Texas? It just ain't natural. I think I overheard someone smart, like Justin or Laura say that they really belong along the edges of creeks, where a fire won't wipe them out. most of them should burn off with the annual fire...but we dont' do fires anymore. to much of a risk. then people could be burned off too....it's another case of humans thinking they can out smart mother earth. so blame progress, or me, I'm human. yes, i am putting off writing my next-to-last paper. FD Maurice, here I come!

Anonymous said...

And why are there so many damn 'cedar' trees in Texas? It just ain't natural. I think I overheard someone smart, like Justin or Laura say that they really belong along the edges of creeks, where a fire won't wipe them out. most of them should burn off with the annual fire...but we dont' do fires anymore. to much of a risk. then people could be burned off too....it's another case of humans thinking they can out smart mother earth. so blame progress, or me, I'm human. yes, i am putting off writing my next-to-last paper. FD Maurice, here I come!

Anonymous said...

Rache,

You have no idea... woke up this morning after 4 days of fightin snot monster. From the day I got outta my last final till who knows when, my nose is just waiting to be cut off my face- at that point it might be happy. My neck is even with my face from being swollen and it is just soo pleasent ... your not alone in this christmas "cheer" sorry your sick feel your pain.. if you want to come and share a wrap with me I have extra... LOTS OF LOVE

Tay

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I'm not sick, yet, but I feel your pain. It's too damn cold, so the heater runs non-stop, thus drying out the nasal passages. I'm like Ricky from "Better Off Dead" snorting my nasal spray just to keep my nasal linging somewhat moist. Anyway, as for the cedar trees, there is an over abundance in the hill country. Back in the day the area was mostly grassland with beautiful tall grass. Well, then progress came along (of which I'm a part) and folks stopped letting fires burn, thus supressing cedar tree growth. I'm not allergic to the damn things, but James is, so I have to put up with the snotsickles and sneezing. Also, those trees have a very large tap root and tap into the aquifer, thus depleting much needed water right out into the atmosphere. I guess the real problem is balance. The golden cheeck warbler (an endangered species) raise their families in those trees, so you can't cut them all down. My wisdom is to just leave them by the rivers. Also, there is a dude in the hill country that took almost all of them off of his property and springs started to flow and the beautiful grass started to grow. Thanks for listening to my dissertation. Go hack a ceadar (really a juniper) down today!

Merry Christmas. Love- Laura

Martin said...

Sorry to hear you're not well. It would make sense if Jesus were born in September, since that's about where Christmas season peaks over here