09 September 2008

all things considered...


so, i'm back in my office after ten days of vacation. it's culture shock, to say the least. the time off was wonderful, and spending time with my alabama family was very refreshing. and maybe all those miles between here and there gave me some perspective i've been needing. i will say this...that was the one trip/event of the entire summer that almost went entirely to plan, my driving reroute re: gustav notwithstanding.

i kept having this strange feeling on vacation...something more than the post-nasal drip induced by different tree pollen...i came to this, somewhere on my trip home, just outside of vicksburg...

so many of my friends and cousins my age have children. i've been watching them, the grown-ups and the parents, with increased curiosity. How quickly we seemed to move from doll-babies to real babies, faster than we moved from playing house to moving into houses. the line from playing the bride to pushing the baby carriage seems to be shorter than we thought. when we get together now, 11pm is a late night. we know there are things that must be done tomorrow, and we must have a clear head to do them. we don't throw up fuzzy pink drinks at 3am, or do shots in the basement. we have margaritas at dinner, and stop drinking after one or two. a glass of wine almost never turns into the whole bottle, anymore...almost never. we have departed, forever and always, that vast and tameless section of our lives. it is bittersweet in the tasting, to know that. to know that our carefree days are behind us, for the most part. to know that small hands hold our hearts forever, and that we have ceased to be creatures of our very own, those are large lessons. in the final analysis, i know all those changes and chances are worth the losses you take on the freedom front. and it's not really sad that the wild days are over, or at least come less frequently. this is life. and life moves. vacation is not forever...and neither are the salad days.

i have started marking my maturity based on things i purchase from the home depot--the caulking gun was definately a big step, i think.

we do not like ike.

mil besos,
rmg

1 comment:

Trait said...

I once felt that having kids would be a loss of freedom, but I don't anymore. Don't get me wrong, there are times I'd like to cut loose and still be drinking at 3am, but most days, I really revel in the fact that I get to rock an 8-month old to sleep at night and fall into bed myself, shortly thereafter. Sometimes it feels like we lose something when we grow up, but I try to just look back in fond memory on those times and enjoy the place God has me now. Occasionally, I try to recreate those moments of the past, but then my body reminds me that I can't drink that many Shiners at one time anymore.