01 November 2007

episode #241, in which rachiepoo takes pictures in san antonio and learns to drive in chicago...

see, even when i'm not writing thoughtful and witty posts, i'm still always moving, trying to find the next thing to write about or take a picture of. i'll need a nap soon, but since it's national blogging month, i figured i better get with the program, and write some posts already.






i love trees. i'm mesmerized by them, to tell the truth. the "ents" in Lord of the Rings are some of my favorite imaginary creatures, not the least of which is because they are trees. this particular tree is in the couryard of the alamo. it's a live oak that was transplanted there in 1912. it's amazing.














this is a detail taken off a bridge crossing the san antonio river on presa street. it's a great old bridge, and marks the entry into la villita, my favorite part of san antonio. i always park near this bridge so i can walk across it.







our lady of guadalupe is my favorite of all the marys. i took this picture out side of mission san jose, in san antonio. i plan on cleaning the shot up some, flipping it to black and white, and maybe using it for a christmas card. the mission is really beautiful, and i very much enjoyed the afternoon i spent walking around the grounds, looking at the buildings, etc. all the art work in and on the building was done by the indians who lived in the mission. what a beautiful place!






i can unequivically say that i would rather have all my fingernails pulled out than drive in chicago ever again. it's horrible. there's a word to describe it, but seeing as how i send this blog to my grandparents, i can't use it. but the first syllable is cluster...you get the point. this is really the only picture i wanted in chicago. i fought hard to get to wrigley field, and braved a 2 hour traffic jam to snap this. i am very much, on occasion my father's child, not only because i got lost five times while actually using a map, but also because i drove 60 miles roundtrip to take a picture of the front of baseball stadium. here's to ya, pops.





does anyone else see the total irony of proclaiming a restaurant "the wieners circle" while advertising it as the "home of the char-broiled cheddarburger"? i do. and i stopped traffic to get you this picture. you are allowed to show your pleasure in the form of gratuitous praise. cash is also acceptable.







this is the best shot of the sears' tower i could get from the street. i got honked at. a lot. but there was no way i was coming home without some damn pictures of chicago landmarks. not after fighting my way downtown in obscene traffic and having paid money on tolls. geeze louise. that being said, chicago is a great town. maybe one day i will attempt to conquer it, and add it to the list of cities i have pillaged with my awesomeness. i will be hiring a driver to cart me around, for sure.
that's pretty much all i have for you from this side of the funny farm.
mil besos--rmg

1 comment:

Ty said...

So, I was perusing your blog and while scrolling saw the picture of the Weiner's Circle, and I was like, "Whoa...I know that sign!"

Then, of course, I saw Wrigley and knew you had been in my neighborhood. Right after I moved here, too. I thought it felt extra awesome during the first part of November.

And you're right, driving in Chicago is like driving in a foreign country. There's a whole different set of rules and if you don't know them and didn't get in a wreck, you have beaten the system. I swear I've heard the phrase "that's why they call them bumpers" 50 times since I moved here.