20 November 2007

for these and all God's blessings...

Though our mouths were full of song as the sea,
and our tongues of exultation as the multitude of its waves,
and our lips of praise as the wide-extended firmament;
though our eyes shone with light like the sun and the moon,
and our hands were spread forth like the eagles of heaven,
and our feet were swift as hinds,
we should still be unable to thank thee and bless thy name,
O Lord our God, and God of our fathers,
for one thousandth or one ten thousandth part of the bounties
which thou has bestowed upon our fathers and upon us.
- Hebrew Prayer Book

i love thanksgiving. aside from my birthday, it may be my favorite holiday. i like that when i was a little girl, thanksgiving was always the same--utterly predictable, and utterly wonderful. i also like it that as a grown up, thanksgiving has always been the same--a moveable feast, different every year. i was bothered by that for the longest time, and then i realized the obvious--thanksgiving isn't about the place, or the food, or the silverware, or the house, or the time you eat, or whether you see a movie or go shoping or get a nap. it's about the attitude you bring to the table, even if you never actually sit down at a table, or if it's the grown-up table or the little kid table, or the take out counter at jason's deli.

i have so much for which to be thankful this year. the whole list is enormous. the short list reads something like this:


family--all of them, the crazies, the normals, the in-laws, and the out-laws, but especially my momma. family is sometimes a hard thing to be. we don't always understand each other, we don't always know the ways to love best, or say true things, or absolve hurts. but we are family, and that is something special. that's something that doesn't just fall off the cart every day. family is work, play, rest, and welcome. family is babies and old people, baptisms and funerals. it is change and it is changeless. family is where you go to say real things, to make up, to fight, to get married, to heal broken hearts, to let your mother brush your hair dry, to ask your grandparents to tell you that story one more time, to hear your aunt laugh in the phone, to talk to your brother about things you did when you were small, to learn about your sister-in-law's dreams, to put your nephew to sleep, to smell babies, to love and be loved. you are my family. you are me. i am you. we are in this together, for better or worse. i am so grateful that i was born into this family, into these stories, into this gumbo of people who are so different, so similar, so beautiful, and so funny. i can't imagine belonging anywhere else, and even on days when i know you wonder about what i'm doing next, how i'm doing, and what in the world i am thinking, i am so glad i belong to you.


friends--you are the family i have made for myself. each and every one of you--the ones i talk to every day, the ones i talk to once in a blue moon. you are irreplaceable to me. you have taught me more than i can imagine. you are my sanity in an insane world. you are the rudder and the wind in my sails. you are dinner and drinks, baseball and dancing. you are movies and sunrises, tents and starshowers. you are couches and futons and guest bedrooms. you are take-out, homemade, four-star, diner fare, starbucks, french-pressed, deep fried funnel cakes. you are my face aching from laughter, and my eyes tear-swollen, my overage on the cell-phone bill, you are text messages at 4 am. you are concert tickets, bob dylan, 70's soft-rock, angry girl music, beethoven, yo la tengo, bluegrass, funk, soul, hip-hop, and reggae. you are chocolate and peanut butter, salty and sweet. you are the ocean and the mountains, the shenandoah valley and big bend national park. you are all the capitals, all the ghost-towns. you are black and white, you are technicolor. you are the secret language that only we understand. you are the secrets and the truths. you are broken. you are beautiful. you are my face.

health.

work.

free time--for new paint in my powder room, for kittens with razor-sharp claws, for the giggles (which i seem to be getting with terrifying frequency, a la my 13 year old self), for good books on my reading list, for naps, for trips to see friends and family, for frequent flyer miles, for staying up too late, for over-analyzing things with my nearest and dearest.

memories--for learning how to remember without feeling sad, for being nostaligic instead of tragic, for knowing lessons and still being willing to learn, for the art of forgiving, for the ability to walk away without being angry.

for my whole life--all the intersesctions, all the contradictions, the ups and downs, the scary things and the exciting things, for chicago and dc and birmingham and brady and new braunfels and tyler and austin and houston and all the places i have been fed and slept and laughed and cried. for the home that lives in my heart, and the people who live there.

yes, for these and God's blessings, i am truly thankful. and while thank-you seems like such a small thing to say, it's all i have. and so this year, i will try to live my "thank-you" loudly, and try to be a blessing, as much as i have been blessed.
love, a many splendored thing, has spread itself so richly over my life.

mil besos--rmg

I think over again my small adventures,
my fears,
These small ones that seemed so big.
For all the vital things I had to get and to reach.
And yet there is only one great thing,
The only thing.
To live to see the great day that dawns
And the light that fills the world.
--inuit song

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you! I love you very much...Inez

Anonymous said...

gracias! meja
gracias! el senor

tu madre

Anonymous said...

I love you, Sp'achel. I read the lists of what your friends are and saying, "That's me. That's me. And that's me too." Have a Happy Texas-sized Thanksgiving. I "shore" do miss them.

Anonymous said...

I feel quite thankful to have lease on your brain from time to time. It's a welcome deviation. Be safe if you travel and don't fly American.

Corky