16 July 2008

morning grind

"almond blossoms" -vincent van gogh
i have at last vanquished the remnants of wallpaper in my kitchen. my kitchen is a pristine (ok, except for the little tiny slivers that i couldn't pry off the corner between the wall and the ceiling), wallpaper free zone. thank you, Jesus. now, all that's left to do is paint the countertop, and i'm done with the kitchen. that little chore will have to wait til i get back from mexico on the 26th. but, i think the last of the all-nighters was pulled last night. i know, i know, it's bad to do that. however, i just could not stop. and i didn't feel sleepy until about 15 minutes ago. it's going to be a long day, kids. wowza.

1. hands--the raconteurs
i am reasonably sure that if a man ever wrote a song like this, and wrote it about me, i would marry that man. plus, the bass line is amazing. i think i am one of the last 50 people in the free world to have bought their first album. thank goodness i finally did.

2. yellow--cold play
you have no idea how much i hate that i actually LIKE cold play. this song, although chronically over-played on every radio station in the free world, is pretty great. the acoustic version is equally good, if more mellow.

3. what's the story, morning glory--oasis
nothing reminds me of the summer before my senior year in high school as much as this song, and this album. good memories...sad memories...lots of growing up. and to think, i owned the TAPE of this! i can see the interior of my white ford contour, and feel every bump driving down bonnie's street to pick her up. and i vividly remember that summer as the one in which i learned to pee outside.

4. ophelia--the band (from the last waltz)
the band, like so many other bands that i inheirited from my parents, is one of my all-time favorite groups. and yes, i love "the last waltz". i think it might even be martin scorses's finest work. yeah, i said it. and one day, before i hang up my traveling shoes, i will go to woodstock, and attend a midnight ramble at levon helm's house.

5. anchorage, alaska--michelle shocked
another song from a mix that ryan made me a couple of years ago, a mix he entitled "autumn will kill us all", from an onion news bulletin. that kid makes a good mix. such a good song, such great lyrics. a nice way to start the day. alaska is kind of magical, in my mind. it's on the list of places to see before i bite the big one. the northern lights are such a mystery to me, and (nightowl that i am) i want to see them in real life, real bad.

6. the distance--cake
1995-1996, i had a tv in my bedroom for the first time,ever. in between watching sports center, and trying to find something to wear, and fighting with my brother over the bathroom, i listened to this song almost every morning. even when we couldn't talk about anything in a civil tone, we could both agree that this was a great song.

7. somewhere beyond the sea--bobby darin
my nephew is crazy about "finding nemo". we can almost sing this one together. and when he's fussy, i can slow this down, and sing him back into a rational state. it's kind of awesome.

8. use me--bill withers
i know, the morning seems like an odd time to listen to bill withers, and this song isn't one you'd normally associate with, uh, daytime activities. however, if you are looking to put a little funk into your day, and maybe dance a little in the car, this is the money horse.

9. in me--casting crownsthis is a great song. period. it's a good song to put your head on right for the day. love it. love it. love it.

10. three little birds--bob marley and the wailers
for me, bob marley will always conjure up good memories. and summertime. there is nothing better than putting the top down, finding a back road, sliding in a copy of "legend", and getting lost on your way to nowhere.

11. what's up--four non-blondes
another trip down memory lane...all the way back to 1992. it conjours up memories of band trips, actually finding out that real people DID drink scope and jack daniels, at the same time, and major crushes on boys way the hell out of my league. holy crap. if i knew then what i know now, i would have been seriously dangerous.

12. mysterious ways--u2
while "zooropa" is a nice album, it still is pale in comparison to "joshua tree", in my book. i remember hanging out in my bedroom, in my old house, and talking about boys with my friend cindy. some things never change. i think celeste actually bought the cd, and i remember dancing around my bedroom for hours like wild banshees. and i remember going to the kitchen in the middle of the night to get celeste real cheese. seriously.

13. here comes the sun--(beatles cover) richie havens
such a good way to start the day...and such a great cover. the drums are amazing, and the vocal track is delivered with wild abandon. so nice for a traffic jam. i listened to this non-stop my freshman year in college. i will always associate it with feeling a) a little homesick, b) that surging sense of freedom you only have when you are 19 and away from home for the first time, and c) knowing that a whole new part of my life was beginning, and that it was good.

14. anyone else but you--the moldy peaches
juno is one of my favorite semi-new movies, and this is, by far, my favorite song on the soundtrack. simple and sweet.

15. maggie mae--rod stewart
the mandolin solo on this song makes me want to run around in circles. rod stewart's voice is so melancholy and upbeat, at the same time. and that raspy scotsman can still wail with the best of them. it's so good. SO good. and i am a sucker for a story song.

16. 30,000 pounds of bananas--harry chapin
speaking of story songs, this song is one of the best and brightest in that genre, if you ask me. harry chapin, like james taylor, plays heavy on the soundtrack of my childhood, as does the entire libretto to "jesus christ, superstar." thank God my parents loved good music!

and that's it, for today, my darlings. enjoy the day!

mil besos,
rmg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes those were the good days! I get real cheese everyday now if I want it! :) How about the Lemonhead days dancing around in your Dad's study. Good times! Love you!