30 November 2004

phoenix-- an existential musing

you know, the phoenix is an interesting symbol. for those of you who aren't familiar with the legend of the phoenix, here's a great link to catch up--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix . i don't know about the rest of you, but i'm totally on board with that right now. i'm wondering which parts of my life are the ashes from which something new will be born, which parts of my life are the nest, and which parts of my life are the left-overs that will be embalmed and bourne away.

i have a lot of questions. and in my pursuit of answers, i am asking a lot of my nearest and dearest, what on the surface seems like random and goofy, questions. most of them center around me. i know, i know, i need to get over myself. and in order to do that, i (get ready, holy crap, this is the kind of thing i only say once in a blue moon) need your help.

so, in no particular order, here are some questions you can answer, if you choose. you may hit comment on the bottom of this post, or you may respond to me by email: rachiepoo78@yahoo.com.

1) if you could choose one job for me to do for the next four years of my life, what would it be?
***seminary is not an option to be used at this time. period***

2) if you could choose one job that i should never do, not in a million years, what would it be?

3) if you could choose one city for me to live in for the next four years of my life, where would it be?

ok, this is scientific, so be honest. i'll post results and other things soon.

mil besos-rachel

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have brought up that seminary thing...once you say the word, well... I don't know, you brought it up.
you know how i feel about nyc, but seriously have you prayed about this? of course you have. remember people, the coolest city can be lousy with out people. it's all about the people.
(james)

Anonymous said...

No amount of "scientific" research is going to provide answers for you on these subjects, my dear. No matter what others may say or suggest, this is YOUR life and YOU need to live it and live it according to the dictate, opinions, "tallies" of others. Come on Rach, jump out there and make YOUR own decision, for YOUR own reasons. Stay where you are, move in with MOM or go to NYC or anyplace inbetween, and don't worry about what others think, feel or say. THIS is YOUR life; live it for YOUR reasons. You are loving and so conscious of others; and so want to do what is "right", "good", "noble", "great" and "small". Block it all, dig deep, listen to YOUR heart, forget Oprahnisque and just do for YOU. God uses whom HE wills, when HE wills, where HE wills and an empty vessel is more often HIS favorite choice. Empty yourself of all the shoulds, woulds, coulds, ifs, ands, buts. You have opportunity to choose whatever, wherever. There is no shame or justification in choosing in what might appear to others to be the least outwardly attractive choice or the most attractive choice. Just make YOUR choice, for RACHEL. Love YOURSELF enough to say NO to everyone elses hopes, dreams, aspirations, etc for you and to say YES to YOUR own. Remember we are called to love SELF as well as neighbor. As your MOM, I think it is time Rachel loved herself. I love you and I trust YOUR choice. Emerge from the ashes, I have done all I can to give you wings as well as roots. So proud, so honored, so blessed and so loved, MOM.

Anonymous said...

My sentence should have read...live NOT by the dictates, tallies, etc of others, but rather your own.
Sorry, got carried away there! I love you. Trust yourself as much as you trust all of us. MOM

Anonymous said...

If you want advice from someone who counts Jack Kerouac as one of the greatest philosophers of the 20th century then I think you should load all the stuff you can't live without and drive until your 'service engine soon' light comes on. Then pick up a paper and search for the job you would least detest in that place. Go to church - see if you like the people and stay, if not then get your car fixed and move on. Or you could always just throw a dart at the map and go wherever fate decides.

Chase the sun for a while and see where she takes you.

New scenery can do wonders.
-opie

evan said...

work with people

work behind a desk that is not with people

someplace with culture and diversity and spunk

that's my two cents. obviously you have figure out the rest. love and god bless
evan

Anonymous said...

I second what your Mama said! I don't think I could have said it any better than that. Whatever you decide to do I will support you 100%. I must say I would like to be your next-door neighbor, so move someplace cool.

Love, Laura