12 January 2006

free minute

i have about fifteen unassigned minutes today, and all i have to say is that neil young's greatest hits just about rocked me out of my car yesterday. i remember the summer before i turned 16 as the summer i discovered neil young and learned how to drive a stick shift. both have had a lot to with how i turned out, i think. harvest was the album, and the rabbit was my car, and the back yard was my entire universe.

if i learned anything from neil young it is this: you don't have to have the world's greatest voice as long as you have something decent and beautiful to say, because at some point, the music just takes over and does what it will. and if you can write a great song and put a great harmonica solo in on top of it, you have written a truly classically kick-you-in-the-teeth-and-butter-your-biscuit great song. from the stick shift, i learned patience and finesse. i could use more stick shift driving in my life, i think. i know for a fact that i could use more neil young.

is it just me, or do harmonica solos just make you want to something crazy, like tear off all your clothes and go run screaming down the middle of the street because they are so freaking sweet? lucky for the rest of the free world that a) i have serious inhibitions and b) harmonica solos that sublime and amazing are few and far between. heart of gold, kids, that song is where it's at for little me, right now. geeze oh man.

i think i may be over-caffinated today. in fact, i'm sure of it. a large coffee drink from the 'bucks, several glasses of tea at lunch with mom and the grand'rents, and a diet coke with splenda made my lack of a nap today hardly noticiable. my plan is working...ah ha ha ha ha.

mil besos--rmg

3 comments:

Martin said...

I love Neil Young, On The Beach is possibly one of my favouritest albums ever. Not so sure about his new one, mind. Even so, I'm struggling to spot a great harmonica solo in one of his songs...

'Out On The Weekend', maybe...?

Anonymous said...

you know lady, i used to love the man... but lately, i feel a little old for "rockin' in the free world" unless of course we are talking about the glider in the nursery.

respond to my EVITE already!!!!!

cory said...

Dude..."Heart of Gold" may be one of the top five best songs ever written. I more than likely would've parted with one of my "berries" to have written that song.

Harvest Moon is a personal favourite too.

I remember your rabbit. You took me to Dairy Queen for lunch one time in it. You know, where we could get the "Full Meal Deal" for three-bucks-even, and they had those little silver tokens for free sundaes? Oh Brady...you're so deliciously white trash...I love you.