14 May 2007

the long and the short of it...

geeze oh man. i'm staring down the barrel of one hell of a week, friends and neighbors. these are the weeks when i remember that there are, in fact, 24 usable hours in everyday. i totally stole that line from "empire records", one of my favorite movies. it's uttered by liv tyler, who plays an overachieving speed freak. sometimes, the irony in life is almost too much to bear, people.

the dc vacation was so nice, if a bit rushed. and even though i went on a scenic tour of western maryland and got to go back to harper's ferry and take pictures, and even though i saw the international spy museum and learned new stealthy skills, and even though i got to eat at my favorite restaurant three times, none of those things were my favorite time with the girls.

my favorite parts were making up silly stories while making upside-down faces (you know, like when you were 12, and you'd lay on the floor with a blanket pulled over your eyes and nose, and put glasses on your chin, and act like a goober? yeah, we did that-and there are 5 college degrees between the three of us--and we laughed until our stomachs hurt...), ordering chinese from our favorite low-budget take-away and watching "shrek 2" in preparation for the third part. and i liked waking up each morning, knowing that adventure lurked around every corner, because the three of us are totally incapable of following a plan--not on purpose, but because life seems to have other plans for us that the ones we made ourselves. mr. caroline put up with our antics admirably well--possibly because he's a high school teacher or because i routinely threaten his life. someday, maybe i will bring mr. caroline a playmate to share with him in his hour of need. today is not that day.

i literally can't believe that it's almost summertime. it's as suprising to me as knowing my nephew is about a week away from being able to say my name. or that my cousin mia grew and gave birth to a real live person two weeks ago.

today, it took me four hours to get through two songs on my media player. i have seven meetings to set between now and the second week in june. i need to send out cards and make phone calls, and write three articles, one report, two announcements, and i still need to send a check to our class treasurer for my 10 year high school reunion. the oil in the car needs to be changed. tomorrow is pay day, and pretty much every red cent is allocated, already. my cat jinx sheds so much that i'm pretty sure i'm going to have to dust my room at least twice this week, and need to vaccum my floor asap.

other than that, i have two new pictures to go in the book, but can't find the words to go with them. they are great shots, though and i'm stoked about finding the right idea to put with them. i'm sure the muse will choose to speak at some totally inopertune time--like around 3 o'clock tomorrow morning, when i'm trying to figure out what to talk about in chapel(tomorrow is my last chapel of the semester, and i want to say something that the little angles will possibly remember as far as lunch)...and i'll either ignore it, knowing it's brilliant, or get up, turn on my laptop and hack it out, and resign myself to sleeping when i'm dead. it could go either way, at this point.

and just a word to the wise--the new mika album is really good. ryan sent it to me and i love it. also, benedryl can put you right to sleep, but can also give you weirdly lucid dreams. just so you know...and i think i may need a 12 step group to deal with my current and overriding obsession with blue grass music. i literally can't get enough-- maybe it was all that sweating we did in west virginia.

that's all. for now. something profound next time, perchance. we live in hope...which reminds me, welcome home to nate, who just came back from the desert.

mil besos--rmg

No comments: