14 July 2011

dry spell

You guys...it's so hot, here. But I'm so grateful to be here, grateful to be able to set the same number of plates at the dinner table as last week, I don't care that all the beautiful thunderheads that build every afternoon are a bunch of liars. Grammy had a major health scare last week, and we spent almost a week holding our collective breaths until Nurse Stacey figured the whole mess out, and things began to resolve. The doctor was so excited, he gave my mother a bear-hug.

Here's the real thing I learned, though. Even if this blog post were about telling you that Grammy had died, I'd still be grateful. God shows up, always. Even when you're not sure you want God to show up, and especially when you don't know what you want God to look like. We rise up singing. We are just visiting this life. We are pilgrims on a journey, and this life is part of the journey, but to imagine that this life is the totality...well, that just feels plain silly. At least today, that feels plain silly.

I think it's time to get out the poster paints, shuck the clothes, turn up Ritchie Havens covering The Beatles, and dance like a lunatic in my backyard...because I can't help it. I was praying a couple of months ago...really more just being quiet, and trying to listen. I remembered reading over and over "when you seek me with all your heart, you will find me..." and thinking that there came a profound point after my unconditional surrender when I realized I literally COULD NOT STOP seeing God's hand prints all over pretty much everything, and how that changed pretty much everything. So, in this dry dry dry summer, I find myself being grateful, all over again, and praying for rain, knowing that God is growing something gorgeous and delightful, in the mean time, just out of my sight. I'll know it when I see it. And when I see it, I'll know it.

mil besos,
rmg

No comments: