16 August 2011

scatter brain...

i think i'm going to have to start writing everything down...and keeping a notebook tied around my neck, so i don't lose my notes. i seriously underestimated the back-to-school madness. i'm pretty excited about being back with seventh graders, and teaching them theology, episcopal-style. i'm more than pretty excited...i've been waiting all summer to get back in the classroom. nothing feels better than being with them, and talking about how big God is. it's the best part of my whole job, right now...the part, besides taking communion to my old ladies, that feels like it's real, and holy, and active, and IMPORTANT.

one of my little old guy's cheese is totally slipping off the cracker. schizophrenia apparently gets worse as you age, and my little friend is really struggling to maintain his grip on what's real and what's not. there's a whole long sad story about this little old guy. his family is pretty well checked out, so the church (and by the church, somehow, that ends up meaning me...woo hoo...) ends up having to do a lot of heavy lifting for this little guy. i'm afraid some of the heavy lifting to be done soon is going to look like transitioning him out of his home, and into a group home or facility. and holy crap...that hurts my heart to think about. but i don't know that there's a lot that can be done to avoid it. i'd rather have him mad at me than to have to deal with him being dead, in his house, because of something that could have been prevented. shit, you guys...sometimes, i just wish for easy answers.

the oldest nephew started "kinneygardens" yesterday, at saint gwegorwy the gweat. how is he almost six?? geeze oh man...time does march on.

camp was amazing. camp is always amazing, and it's the place i always think of whenever anyone says the word, "home".

ken burns' civil war documentary was even better than i remembered it being as a kid, watching it with my dad. shelby foote's voice reminds me of my pops, and i loved that. the wwII documentary should start arriving in a couple of days. that guy makes some great films. i think i've got "baseball" and "the brooklyn bridge" slated for viewing in november. YAY. also, mad props to cory will, who sent me "no direction home"...which i can't stop watching. i still want to marry levon helm, circa 1974.

mil besos,
rmg

No comments: