26 August 2005

world class napper

that's what i'm on my way to becoming, again, friends and neighbors. thank the sweet baby Jesus i haven't lost everything i learned about world class napping in college, because this getting up at 5:45 every morning is kicking my adkin's shrinking butt, real hard. before this week, the last time i was up before six was to clear security before an airplane flight to boston. what the hell people?

my nearest and dearest know that morning is really not "my" time of day. i do really well, exceptionally well, from about 11am-3am. the eight hours inbetween are just not pleasant to witness. thankfully, the only person who has to deal with me from 5:45 to about 6:20 is myself. and the only person who has to deal with me from 6:20 until 8:15 is sweet baby a, and he loves me because i sing to him while i dress him for school. and he gets a good pep talk. this kid loves the green cards, whom i love, also. when the green cards come on the radio, we both smile, and sometimes he giggles. like i said in an earlier post, with a 12 year old cerebral palsy patient, it's the little victories that make you the happiest.

i think i'm going to get my dream car on wednesday or thursday. i'm so freaking psyched. btw, i owe the texas grandparents major graditude for wanting the buick. i feel like i can breathe, now. and if all goes well, i will finally have the bug convertible i've dreamed about having since i was about 14. holy crap, people. i am so excited. and goat fest is this next weekend. and i think i'm going to a kinky friedman rally tomorrow night. having a life is fun. remind me why, at 26, i've finally decided to have one? what the hell was my problem? i know, i know, i was loving on some kids, and i will never regret that for one minute. but still, i hope all the fun hasn't passed me by...

despite my angst, and the angst of my generation, i have to say that the old adage of "the journey of a 1000 miles begins with one step" is quite true. sometimes the best decision you can make is to just pick a hand and jump out there. like baz lurhman says, your chances are 50/50. so are everyone else's.

seize something, whether it's the day or not, because teddy roosevelt said that honor goes to the people who had the stones to try, and not the wusses in the corner who kept counting the cost of fighting for something, that's a paraphrase, of course. goethe said "be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid". jesus said, "consider the lilies of the field". i think i like that merging of minds. it kind of makes me want to go kick a little booty and take names later. but i'll probably just make sweet baby a's brother, critter j, do his homework and drink some juice. 12 year olds are curious creatures. God bless my mother for not drowning me when i was 12. what a crappy age.

for those of you who care: i found some hilarious notes from high school government class the other day, which can be bought for a price. does anyone remember the flow chart of "death, tyranny, and slavery"? also, i have some clandestine notes that esteban and i passed during our senior year. we were funny bitches then, and we are funny bitches now, only slighty more jaded, which makes us more funny, and slightly more bitter. ah life, you are a grand comedy.

in case you haven't noticed, there was no coherent theme in this post. in fact, if i submitted this post for diagnostics, i'd prolly be diagnosed with adult add. hope you enjoyed, anyway.

mil besos-rmg

2 comments:

Martin said...

The existentialism is all well and good, but what on earth is "goat fest"? (I know, clueless)

I hated being 12.

Beth said...

Being jaded is a lot more fun, in my opinion. Being bitter is funny now that we're all a bit older, yet ironically immature at the same time.

And don't worry, not one of my posts really has a coherent theme whatsoever. Unless you count that they are all recollections of my drunken behavior. So I guess that could be a theme. A somewhat pitiful and pointless theme, but a theme nonetheless.

Also, I am the queen of napping. That's one of the few things that I kick ass at. I think we should have a "Nap Competition." I'll give you a run for your money.

Hope to see you at Goat Fest!

And I agree with Martin. Being 12 sucked.