05 April 2011

flashcards

i gave a talk this weekend, at a retreat. i talked about how G-d talks to me, about how it's almost always in flashcard form, a word or two starkly inked into the material of my heart and my head in something far more indelible, but as recognizeable as sharpie marker. i love sharpie markers, you guys. seriously. i always have one in my purse, and one on my desk. always black. there is nothing more satisfying than writing with a sharpie marker...it's permanent, it's big, it's bold, it means business, even if it's a love letter or a smiley face. sharpie markers are ON PURPOSE. you never accidentally write with a sharpie. so it is with my flashcards from G-d. the flashcards in the deck i've been made privy to say some of these words: *faithful*obedient*encourage*intentional*fully present*window*...and a weird one that's a phrase...*you'll know it when you see it*. and you guys...i have been seeing some things...good things...hopeful things...hard things...and every where, every place i rest my eyes, or my head, or my heart, it's all so full of love and grace and mercy, i can't believe i was ever blind to this. it's never going to be easy, living into this broken and dying world. it will always be a struggle to make peace with the breach between the already and the not-yet of the kingdom of G-d. nothing in this life will be easy, even the things that look or feel easy aren't really...and that's just the beauty and the blessing of it. i think i understand a part of what all those ridiculous bumper stickers and posters from college said about the journey being the destination. and i want to sharpie that all over everything. mil besos, rmg

No comments: