14 May 2012

pasture parties


when they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to simon peter, “simon, son of john, do you love me more than these?” he said to him, “yes, Lord; you know that i love you.” He said to him, “feed my lambs.” he said to him a second time, “simon, son of john, do you love me?” he said to him, “yes, lord; you know that i love you.” he said to him, “tend my sheep.” he said to him the third time, “simon, son of john, do you love me?” peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord,you know everything; you know that i love you.” Jesus said to him, “feed my sheep. truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” this he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify G-d.) and after saying this he said to him,“follow me.”

--the gospel according to st. john, 21:15-19

i am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; i am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.
--alexander the great




...snotty-nosed sheep are born looking for a place to die.
--bobby mcmurry 



 working with little people is one of the joys of my life.  they teach me so much more than i teach them. i am constantly amazed at what we learn together.  

here are some photos of a paper-painting we've been working on (it's still a work in progress) for the last three weeks.  it's to remind us that we are each special and unique, and not just a homogeneous herd of dumb animals.  there are sheep with wings and sparkles, and pink wool.  there are butterflies and flowers and trees and bees and sunshine.  there's a whole creation on this piddly little sheet of butcher paper.  this may be my favorite thing i've ever made with the little people.  i want to frame it and take it with me everywhere i go, to remind me of how special we all are, how much G-d loves us.  

we talked about how sheep  are defenseless without a shepherd.  sheep are notoriously fragile, and have been known to drown in a rainstorm, simply because they become so mesmerized by the falling drops that they don't put their heads down, and their lungs fill up.  not a real winner in the "will to live" department...but this is the image Jesus offers peter, the image He offers us, the picture of who we are and how we are.  but it's also the image we are offered of Jesus, as well.  and that's pretty cool.  

Jesus takes the weakness of the sheep, the willingness to die without a fight, the innocence and wildness and fear of those dumb animals, and makes it into something beautiful, something strong, something solid you can rest against...something to be proud of...something by which we are inspired and encouraged.  that is no small thing.  this Jesus comes to us, and out of his lamb's mouth, roars a roar of love with the full throat of a lion.  we have to remember that.  our lives depend on it.  we have to learn how to be brave and fragile, at the same time, and to know and believe that we are being tended well, even when it's dark and we can't see anything in front of us but more darkness.  we are not sheep without a shepherd.  we are Jesus's people, and the sheep of His pasture.  i just love that. 

****

pasture parties are part and parcel of my best memories from high school and college.  i added another of them to my string of happy stories this weekend. i had a seriously kick-ass time making new friends and hearing stories that made me laugh until my face hurt.  and i saw some shooting stars.  and i watched the sun come up.  and my boyfriend kicks so much ass, i can't stand it.    

mil besos,
rmg







No comments: